What’s the perfect fall combination, well apples and pumpkin spice! Now before you dismiss this idea because you see everything with pumpkin spice this time of year , let me make my case for this delicious recipe. Nothing beats home made apple sauce, especially this time of year when we have so many apples available. I always flavor my apple sauce with cinnamon, using my homemade pumpkin spice , it’s amped up flavor, with nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice. The resulting taste is so good, you will only want pumpkin spice applesauce from now on ! Honest!!!
From by the bay , wishing you pumpkin spice food memories!
Pumpkin Spice Applesauce
- 6 large red apples – peeled, cored and sliced, approximately 2 lbs. ( like Macoun or Macintosh)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix ( recipe below)
Place all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until apples are soft. Remove from heat and cool. Mash the apples together with a potato masher. Place in an air tight container and refrigerate until ready to use. It will keep in a refrigerator for about 1 week.
Pumpkin Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Mix all spices together well and store in a closed air tight container.