Memorial Day is right around the corner. How I look forward to many meals centered around grilling! I love to make my own barbecue sauce mixing my favorite flavors, finding that right balance between sweet, savory and heat. This sauce is so simple to make combining many ingredients you would have in your kitchen except maybe for the blackberry jam, which you will love to have anyway whether its for this recipe or your morning toast and the haberno chile. If you can’t find a haberno, jalapeno would work fine too. I love this sauce on spare ribs, pork chops and chicken. Let the season begin with this sauce!
From by the bay, wishing you sweet and savory blackberry food memories!
Blackberry Barbecue Sauce
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons seedless blackberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon minced habanero chile
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and mix well. Simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is slightly thicken. Use it immediately or place in a glass container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week.