I was craving a lobster roll, but that takes money, time and some real commitment. This is the lazy girl’s lobster roll, but without compromising taste! The shrimp are easy to make and if you are even more lazy and sometimes I am , I buy the shrimp already cooked, in which case you are whipping up this shrimp roll in minutes……..held back by how fast you can crisp up those slices of bacon!! The roll has a slight kick from the hot sauce the a fresh tangy taste from the lemon juice. This is a perfect quick summer dinner especially on those hot evenings when you don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen or at the grill!
From by the bay , wishing you some BLT food memories!
Shrimp BLT Roll
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 bay leave
- 1 pound headless large shrimp ( 24 -26 per pound), cleaned and deveined
- 3 thick slices slab bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
- 1/2 cup high quality store bought mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 leaves soft green lettuce, such as boston or butter
- 4 top loading hot dog buns
- 2 scallions, ( use white and green parts), finely chopped
In a stockpot add about 2 quarts water salt and bay leave. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Strain removing bay leave and cool shrimp under cold running water to stop from cooking. When shrimp are completely cool chop and place in bowl along with 1/2 of the chopped scallions. In a small bowl add mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, mustard and pepper. Whisk together and pour over the shrimp. Fold sauce and shrimp together. To assemble sandwich open the bun and add 1 slice lettuce, 1/4 chopped tomato, 1/4 shrimp salad. Repeat for remaining shrimp rolls. Garnish each roll with remaining scallions and chopped crispy bacon. Serve immediately.