If you are looking for a healthy yet delicious dessert try this easy to prepare version of unbaked brownies. It’s made with ground dates, walnuts and cocoa powder topped with the best chocolate frosting made with cocoa powder and sweetened with maple syrup. This is almost a cross between a brownie and fudge. The best part is that the dessert is flourless in addition to being low in cholesterol and sodium. I like to cut up into little bite size pieces. Enjoy without the guilt!
From by the bay, wishing you guilt free food memories!
Unbaked Brownies with Chocolate Frosting
as featured in Health Magazine by Katie Higgins
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 16 brownies
- 2 1/2 cups cups loosely packed pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
1. Combine dates, walnuts, 6 Tbsp. cacao powder, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 2 tsp. water and salt in a food processor. Process until completely smooth.
2. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish, or line dish with parchment or waxed paper. Transfer dough to dish. Press dough very firmly into dish with your hands until dough is evenly distributed.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup cacao powder, remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla, maple syrup and oil. Stir until mixture forms a paste (this is the frosting). Spread paste evenly over dough in baking dish. Refrigerate brownies for at least 2 hours to set, then cut into squares. Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.