No Thanksgiving meal would be complete without a side of potatoes and this sweet potato dish is a perfect side. Creamy sweet potatoes are enriched with creme fraiche, touched with sweet cinnamon and then topped with clouds of marshmallow meringue made with marshmallow creme that is toasted last minute and served. Thanksgiving perfection!
From by the bay, wishing you toasted marshmallow meringue food memories!
Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- paste from one vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 ounces creme fraiche
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 8 ounces marshmallow crème
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet 1 hour or until tender. Let cool to touch and peel. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Beat sweet potatoes, vanilla paste, and next 6 ingredients at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until smooth. Beat in whole eggs. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 8 by 8 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, beat egg whites, remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and a pinch of salt at high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until foamy. Gradually add maple syrup, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat one-third of marshmallow crème into egg white mixture; repeat with remaining marshmallow crème, beating until smooth (about 1 minute). Pipe or spread meringue in a decorative pattern on warm potatoes. Bake 13 to 15 more minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.