It’s not even summer yet and we are about to have our second heat wave starting Sunday! During the last mini heat wave I wanted to serve a side dish that was cool and refreshing. It turns out that watermelon and cucumbers are a perfect pair. I served this salsa along with grilled fish tacos, but this side is so versatile it complements most fish, pork and chicken. Oh, and let’s not forget a perfect salsa for dipping a tortilla chip. It’s a must try recipe!
From by the bay, wishing you cool food memories!
Watermelon Cucumber Salsa
- 2 cups finely diced seedless watermelon
- 1 cup finely diced english cucumber
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced and seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
In a medium size bowl combine the honey, lime juice salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 1 day.